putting a switch in for my outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have an existing outside light (halogen,), i want to put a switch on the outside wall for it. the existing cable is twin and earth, i have cable to the light and from the light to the new switch.... how do i wire up the switch?

Sponsored Links
thanks for your response,

mains board up through the loft and then down the outside wall. the reason i want the switch is so i can use it as a security and a constant light

the black feed neutral goes into the neutral of the light (as it is at moment i guess) the red feed live you put on a 5amp connector block with one of the cores of your switch wire say the red ( if you are using red & black wrap some red tape around the black to show it is a live switch return) then the black with the red tape goes into the live terminal of the light.
at the switch the red and the black with the red tape (wrap tape around at this end to) go to C and L1 in the switch

Sponsored Links
cullen this is to wire the switch as an isolator, if your light is a pulse over-ride type where you switch it on and off quickly to switch it on continuously.
if it is the type you can hard wire a switch accross perminant live and lamp output terminal it will be slightly different, check out the paperwork on the pir light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back