pv solar systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thinking about doing a pv solar course, but want to no a bit about it first

i dont really understand the tariffs ect

just as a guide if i had a 2kw system what would i get back?

Sponsored Links
The major problem is described at that website:

As an example, a typical domestic solar electricity system, with an installation size of 2.7 kWp could earn around:

£990 per year from the Generation Tariff
£40 per year from the Export Tariff
£140 per year reduction in current electricity bills.

Without the FIT (generation tariff), the system will save nothing.

To get the FIT, the system must be MCS certified and installed by an MCS installer - so DIY is out of the question.
Becoming MCS certified is very expensive and will be a complete waste of money, considering that April 2012 is less than a year away.

Even with the FIT, it assumes you will be living at the same property for the next 25 years, every part of the system works for 25 years with no repairs or maintenance, the actual output is what the suppliers claim, your roof doesn't need any repair or replacement in the next 25 years, you live in an area where hail never falls, there are no birds, and the sun shines for 14 hours every day of the year.

Even if all that somehow miraculously happened, it will still be over 10 years before you even recover the initial cost of the system. Just like pyramid scams and get rich quick schemes, it promises so much and delivers so little.

If that wasn't clear enough, perhaps this will explain it more clearly:

Curious, innit, how the green generation projects go t*ts up.

Cameron made a song & dance about his wind generator and how much the salesman said he'd save. Then with all the publicity, the sales company suddenly withdrew and Cameron hasn't gone elsewhere.

I know of a wind generator that was installed at Tilbury Docks. Never generated as expected.

Having said that, I'm sure the big jobs do come up to scratch.

Sponsored Links
There is undoubtably big profits to be made here, especially the large turbines of 1.5mw and up

I do find it interesting the number of companies sprouting up (And the great names they call themselves), how they go around the countryside chatting up landowners, making wild promises and unfounded claims.

I've got one now negotiation with me for putting an 80m turbine on our land. £25k per year for 20 years and all the electricity we can eat for free (another 6k at current loads). A one man band, bit of a wild boy with dollar signs in his eyes pretending to be concerned about the environment.

Unfortunately, the government is set on them and steamrollering any objection. These big spinny things WILL be a significant feature of our landscape for the next couple of decades or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back