Question about a load bearing wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/sNOWdwS

*quick note to say id never go ahead with knocking this down based on advice received over the internet and would get a pro in for opinion. If, however, someone points out that’s it obviously is load bearing, I’ll give up on the idea.*

I’m currently ripping my house to pieces since I have nothing better to do (mid terrace 1930s). I also have the smallest bathroom ever so figured that might be something to rectify. We have a larger than necessary landing area at the top of the stairs and I can add about a foot of useful space to the tiny bathroom if I move the wall
yiYH4tV.jpg

XcdKUwF.jpg

I’m trying to establish whether the wall is load bearing. It runs parallel to the floor joists below and spans about half way across the width of the house. As far as I can tell, the wall sits on the edge of the right hand floor joists here (taken from downstairs where looking up at where the ceiling used to be).
JtSjsME.jpg

The roof construction is shown here with the struts bearing down our bedroom wall which sits on an rsj below (so is obviously load bearing).
znrwA3c.jpg

cbUz1j9.jpg

The next few pics show where the ceiling joists meet the wall I want to move from
Above in the loft. Here is the joist closest to the petty wall (upside down. you can just make out timber of wall plate below)
VMpUU0x.jpg

A few more pics of wall plate beneath ceiling joists
hyIGqU9.jpg

The wall Then meets a perpendicular which runs parallal with ceiling joists.
aLzXHMT.jpg

You can see the binder here running parallel with the wall I want to remove; it is bedded in the party wall at the other end but ends just out of shot and doesn’t extend to the last four joists, which are above the wall I want to move.

As far as I can see, at most this wall is offering some support to the 4 ceiling joists that cross it. You can see on a couple of the pics there are binders running across the joists, one of which is almost in line with the wall I want to move. This binder doesn’t span the entire space though, and seems to rest on the perpendicular wall mentioned above.

If it is only supporting those 4 ceiling joists, would extending the binder and hanging from purlins be a sensible idea?

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it a masonary wall then? Thought it’d be stud lath and plaster if it’s a 30s place and it’s built off first floor boards.

Lath and plaster might be a bit outdated for 1930s - could possibly be some lightweight, extruded clay block, quite common at the time.

Sponsored Links
Can confirm it is lath and plaster
More news. I knocked a few holes in to see if I could find any vertica supports. Only 2, either side of door frame. You can see in one pic here where the door frame meets the wall plate that I can get a scraper in the gap quite easy so there is no load bearing down. Same story on other side. You can also see that wall plate is screwed into the wall plate running perpendicular, but is not resting on it at all.

Looking more likely to me that this is not supporting anything.

Attachments

• C9F28E0A-983D-4173-B8A6-7BA3577FD400.jpeg
    C9F28E0A-983D-4173-B8A6-7BA3577FD400.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 237
  • CADCC695-D24F-4F34-9B8F-1D32A6097843.jpeg
    CADCC695-D24F-4F34-9B8F-1D32A6097843.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 235

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back