Question for the oil boiler experts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not been doing oil for long so forgive me if im asking a obvious question!
Visited a breakdonw today-boiler going into lockout without firing up.-oil pressure is ok,geting sparks at electrodes-but only getting 60v going to solenoid-so i thought it must be photocell.With photocell wires disconnected it gives a resistance reading of zero in darkness and a reading when exposed to light so seems ok,the terminal blocks(number 1 and 2) are showing a resistance reading with nothing connected to them,when i remove the terminal block from number 1(hence no resistance detected by control box) the boiler fires up b4 obviously locking out due to no photocell connected.
My question is........should the resistance reading between terminal 1 and 2 read zero when nothing is connected to them? If this is the case then its cleary the terminal block gone faulty but looking at it the screws should go into plastic so how can there be a reading between the them?
Any advice will be welcome incase in barking up the wrong tree! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
zero as in 0? which means short cct?

termianl blocks don't go shorted unless over heated and plastic melts off.

but when checking resitance you should not have anything else connected, as your meter will rad backwards through what ever is still conected

whats the burner?
and what is the control box?

is it an old bho 11/12 control box? light tan coloured. ?

yeah i tested terminals 1 and 2 with no wires connected and was getting a resistance reading,thinking the control box is taking this reading as the photocell detecting light and stopping the ignition sequence.
it was a b11 burner,cant remeber number on contorl box-but was the clear plastic one

Sponsored Links
a satronic.

start chucking bits at it.

thats what spares are for. jam the fault finding.

yeah thats the one-tried a new control box,had 1 on van but stil same probs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back