question regarding competence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was on a job with a 2330 qualified spark (level 3 last year).
I have had 2360 for 10 years and we were talking about the differences between our courses. He said his lecturer told his class that the I&T in level3 was the same as the 2391 and would be acceptable for proving competence for testing. I said I thought that he would be better with 2391, but am unsure now.

Do any of you guys do PIRs on the strength of your 2330 (or 2360) or would you say 2391 woulod be the standard? We were specifically discussing board changes, with a PIR beforehand, rather than full on PIRs.

I am aware that there is no 'minimum qualification' for a PIR, but am interested in your views.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a follow on question.
The lad is booking himself on a 2391 (told him to wait until 2392 is on offer) as he can see why it would benefit him for PIRs.

He has pointed out that his 2330 included a lot of I&T, and can't see why this wouldn't cover him doing I&T for board changes. He works for himself and wants to do things properly.

I was working for a firm when I qualified, and had a couple of years behind me when I went alone. Can any of you offer clarification here?

It will depend what qualifications the competent person scheme if he joins one require.

Sponsored Links
Hi Spark. I've got a contract with a builder refitting a number of shops and flats. The new guy is a friend of a friend and I've subbed some work to him. His work is fine and he knows the ropes regards testing. I don't really want to treat him like a trainee (i.e. I&T then get him to fit the board) but don't want to leave myself open to problems down the line.
I did think he had 2391 before we started and as I say his work is fine.

If you guys think the 2330 would not suffice, I'll go back over the jobs and PIR. Bit of a pain, but I will only ever do the job right.

If you are a member of a competent person scheme then you will probably have to abide by their rules.
However, to carry out I,T&C in order to comply with BS7671 you do not need to have C&G2391.

Took your advice 123 and spoke to NIC. They are happy that 2330 L3 is enough for the certs, so we are happy working as we are. As for 23991, he is going to do that to get a bit more training in I&T.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back