questioning building control.

PLH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an extension built around 2 and a half years ago which required a beam across back of house. At start of extension the architect changed design slightly but didnt submit drawings straight away to building contol. Although they knew about change and made subsequent visits and also observed beam in place, they now wont grant completion certificate because they say they didnt see foundations for pier supporting beam. My argument is that if they did not see foundations in place(which I dont believe, i think he missed them) why let me continue with 1. putting beam in , 2 finishing house off before mentioning after 2 1/2 years about problem?

Sponsored Links
Might be worth a little browse of this
http://www.lgo.org.uk/complaints-about-building-control/
Not sure how relevant it is or how you are going to prove it.
but does mention
If you can consider my complaint what will the Ombudsman look for?

We consider complaints that the council has done something wrong which has caused you problems. So we look at what effect the council’s error has had and what problems this caused for you. Some faults we might find are that the council:

wrongly said that consent under Building Regulations was required;
wrongly advised a form of construction that does not comply with the Building Regulations;
failed to notice significant non-compliance with Building Regulations; and
did not take enforcement action against a significant breach of the Building Regulations.

If the BCO isn't co-operating, ask to speak to their senior. You may be entitled to view the BCO's diary notes, which would note if foundations/beam/padstones were checked prior to completing.

Sponsored Links
they now wont grant completion certificate because they say they didnt see foundations for pier supporting beam.
were the foundations exposed to the wall beneath the beam?

This element of construction is fairly typical (i.e. sitting steels upon existing structures) and any extraordinary loads would require you to expose the foundations beneath.

Your architect should be well versed and should have advised you as such on the drawing.

Either your architect has missed it or you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back