Quote for Rewiring my Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the upper half of a Georgian House 10 miles east of Edinburgh with total floor space of approximately 2,000 sq feet. I have just been told that the whole flat will have to be rewired as the current wiring is of mixed age and unsafe. The first quote I have had is for £11,000 just for labour which will take about one month. This seems very high to me. Can anyone advise me as to whether this is a reasonable quote?

Sponsored Links
it does sound rather high

is the person who claimed your wiring was unsafe the same person who gave you the quote for the rewire?

did the person who claimed you needed a rewire identify specific faults or did he just make vauge claims.

can you get us pictures of the general condition of your wiring?

there are "electricians" out there who offer free inspections and then use them to sell unnessacery rewires, not nessacerally saying that is the case here but the indications are looking that way.

I'd say get a couple more quotes from other electricians, also see if you can get any personally recommended electricians from neighbours, friends etc. We can't really offer much advice on the price as we can't see the extent of the work!

Talking about rewiring, a detached house, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms upstairs, loft, big lounge/dining, conservatory, garage 25m from the house, big kitchen, study and a toilet D/S. I lost the job because some one quoted £1000, all inclusive...??? this is the other end. My worry is that if I estimate this kind of a job between £3000 to £4000 am i so wrong?

Sponsored Links
"total floor space of approximately 2,000 sq feet"

pretty big for a flat

pictures around your meter, incoming supply, fusebox, some sample sockets, cooker switch, light fittings would be interesting and might explain why it is so much

what rooms do you have?

best advice is always (as mentioned by Spark123) to ask around friends and eighbours who have recently had homes rewired and ask for recommendations. See how big their homes are and what it cost. A good quality job is worth more than a bad one that's a bit cheaper.

If the price includes replastering, redecorating, relaying unusual flooring that could be expensive too.

If you are living in the house you wil be in the electrician's way and he will have to spend more time cleaning up and replacing floorboards so you don't fall down them, also enticing out your cat.

In England rewiring of homes has to be done by a person who is a member of a self certification scheme, otherwise you have to pay for Building Control inspection. There is a Scottish scheme but I am not familiar with it. Ensure you used a properly qualified person who complies with regulations and documentation.

It seems a bit dear, but it's a bit of string thing.

More info required.

Some info on the building regs required for you to read;as it's a flat.

You should use a competent person for the work, links below

In Scotland:
Individuals regitered;
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
Companies
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchCo.asp?T=Construction&ID=2

In England and Wales:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk

Requirements for flats::
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/pdfs/Electrical Guidance for Verifiers 29Mar06.pdf

Georgian top floor flat, sounds very nice- Would it happen to be a listed building?

£11k is OTT for a standard 2000 sq ft house, I would have guessed at £5-6k labour + £2k materials (absolute tops).

If the property is listed, if the work includes re-plastering and decoration then just maybe it would stretch towards the £10k mark.

Last full re-wire (absolutely everything) inc 12 final circuits, 17w split board, 57 double sockets, 17 light positions + TV, Voice, Cat 5 and even the door bell came in a £4.6k labour (me-billy no mates), £1.8k materials (MK).

That was on a 4 1/2 bed Edwardian semi with full repair, ready to decorate plastering finish. It was one of those jobs where everything was surface and everything became flush.

As mentioned get some more quotes and consider helping the quote process by offering:-

* Free, unfettered access to certain areas (such as clearing bedrooms of furniture and not occupying them for short periods
* Carpet man to re-fit / stretch carpets
* Planning the repair / redecoration of chased routes- who and when

Basically try to simplify the work and the man hours have to shrink, hopefully to a point that become a fair cost for work.

We have a 2000 sq ft house and it's considered to be large, so must be a friggin huge flat!

Local sparky in village quoted £4k for a full rewire. £11k for a months work, even if you include the materials and VAT, is very nice indeed.

Is there 100m of 35.0mm² SWA to run a submains from a landlords communal meter room?

Is there access above the ceilings?

Are the ceilings fancy plasterwork?

19062006164-1.jpg

This would make things much more complicated (and expensive).

the above picture is from the Junior Domestic Staff's Billiard room in Rob's house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back