Radial Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just looking for some advice if possible, I'm in the process of building a TV unit with a built-in fire, etc.

Luckly the socket that I need to spur off are on their own radial circuit (not sure why the old owners did this, but it's saved me time). I'm looking to add an extra 5 sockets to the radial circuit, would this be ok?

In the consumer unit is a 30AMP fuse, the most powerful item that will be plugged in is the fire but that's only 2KW.

Will that be enough and is 5 extra sockets allowed?

Sponsored Links
You mention a 30amp FUSE. This suggests an older installation. Or do you mean an MCB?

Also Is this circuit RCD protected? Any new sockets must have an RCD on the circuit.
There may be more work that is needed here before adding extra sockets.

Sponsored Links
30 amp fuse points to a ring final, although you can have a 4 mm² cable and a radial, at the time when we used fuses that was unusual, I assume is a fuse as a MCB tends to be 32 amp.

Also with a fuse it is rare to have RCD protection, and if really a radial you do need to check all cable sizes, I have seen it where 7/0.036 cables has been used (4 mm² approx) that some one thinking it was a ring final has added a loop in 2.5 mm² cable, so really need to carry out an EICR before extending to ensure that has not happened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back