Radiator cold

TJ1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 radiators in my sitting room, 1 single and 1 double, one at either end. The double which is furthest away from the boiler works fine. Presently both are set at 3 on their thermostats. The one nearest the boiler (the single one) is cold and doesn’t heat up until on 4 on the thermostat.
There doesn’t appear to be any air in the system at least not in that radiator. All the others work fine. Any ideas what the problem is please?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Does the larger radiator heat up the room? (of course it does)
TRVs respond to room temperature, as the room rises in temperature so the TRV restricts water flow to the rad. Thus the smaller TRV, being warmed by the heat from the larger rad, shuts off water to the smaller rad.
There's nothing to worry about. As the outside temperature drops you may find that both rads get warm/hot. That's the TRVs doing their jobs.

To test it, turn the large rad's TRV down to, say, 1.
WAIT half an hour.
Does your smaller rad (on setting 3) warm up now?

MM

• Thanks
Reactions: TJ1
Thanks MeldrewsMate, that makes sense, I did wonder.

From cold, they should both get fully hot until room reaches temp and one outs the other (as mm above). Also worth undoing the TRV heads and manipulating the pins up and down making sure they’re free to spring back up after depressing - this is worth doing with all TRV pins once a year (say just at beginning of heating season).

• Thanks
Reactions: TJ1
Sponsored Links
Thanks dilalio,both radiators heated up this morning. We usually leave the radiators on full on the TRV’s to keep them open but it won’t hurt to give them all a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back