Radiator inhibitor - Altech v Fernox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just when I though things were going OK we had a new radiator added to the system.

Plumber drained it all down, fitted the rad etc, and then he went to get the inhibitor from the plumbers merchant. Despite me asking that he use Fernox he came back with Altech. I think Grahams supply it. Anyway, that's what he's put in.

Not a lot we can do about it now other than have it drained down again - so how bad is the Altech stuff ? Should we leave it a couple of years and then drain again and put in Fernox ?

I know Fernox is good but what will the difference be between the two products ?

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of an inhibitor that damaged the system, so probably not really necessary to drain it all out.
IF........ you are absolutely sure it was inhibitor.
Fernox, you know what you get, cost a bit more, but good stuff.

Thanks for your reply. I'm fairly certain it said inhibitor on the container - but I'll have a look when I get home.

I think my concern is that it's an inferior product to Fernox so wondered how long it would be effective.

The last time the system was drained was in 2004 and Fernox was added. When it was drained recently the water was as clear as tap water.

So, just wanted to be clear whether this Altech was any good or not.

most cheap inhibitors are rebranded products that come from the main players(fernox, sentinel, salamander etc). more likely you've got a reasonable inhbitor just rebranded.

Sponsored Links
mickyg is right, i'm not sure who makes the altech but Plumb Center's own branded inhibitor, for instance, is made by Fernox.

The Altech bottle looks identical to a bottle of Fernox Protector F1 except the label of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back