Radiator noise even when turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
The radiator in my bedroom makes constant banging / loud tapping noises when the heating is on. I have tried to adjust the temperature valve on the side of the radiator: off/highest temp/all in between but the noises continues. It doesn't affect any of the other radiators in the house.
I have also tried to bleed the radiators but no change.

Any advice please, I live in a shared house which means the heating comes on early and I'm losing sleep because of the constant noise.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Possibly the Thermostatic Rad Valve is fitted the wrong way round - that is the flow through it may be in the wrong direction. This will cause the noise you describe, but it would normally vary with the settings on the valve, but the head may be broken. Check for arrow signs on valve and flow direction (which end of rad gets hot first).

Thanks for this, I will certainly check. What can I find the TRV and what does it look like?

Sponsored Links
Great thanks, I'll check first thing when I get home.

Hi,

This certainly does seem to be the case. The TRV is fitted on the opposite end of where the hot water is flowing from. Thanks, now I just have to convince my landlord to fix it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back