Radiator not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - diy novice here.

I've a radiator in a bedroom that does not heat up.

I've removed the radiator and flushed it through and after putting it back on and opening the valves, hot water rushed in but has not passed back out.

I've bled all the radiators in the house (5) after putting this one back on but it is still not heating up.

The radiator has a standard valve on it's left and a thermostatic valve on it's right. I originally opened the left valve to re-fill it.

I'm not sure which way the water should flow but does it sound like one of the valves are faulty.

How easy is it to fit a new valve and I'm not bothered about it being a thermostatic valve if that's the fault.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated and will give my ears a rest.

cheers

Sponsored Links
You could try taking off the T/valve top and tap the pin a few times, it may unstickit temporarily, if it's the old Danfoss model they are notorious for sticking.

I don't know about tapping the pin, seems a bit over the top! It's a spring loaded valve (normally open). If it's stuck shut it can't go any further down, it needs twisting and pulling up a little (pliers) plus WD 40.
You can run the heating while you have the thermostatic head removed.
Also remove or adjust the plastic stops that maybe preventing you opening the valve sufficiently. The opposite end valve should be fully open.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If it's an old Danfoss pulling the pin with pliers will most likely pull it out and you will get a jet of water in your eye and on your carpet till you shove it back in, tap the pin with pliers a few times and it may well pop up on its own, you will end up having to replace the whole t/valve as it will stick again, the new Danfoss valves dont seem to suffer from this problem.

You can tap it, pull it with pliers, take rad off wall and open to check flow, all top notch tips, but as with all plumbing jobs keep a handy supply of towels to hand and get familiar with all exits before lifting a spanner :LOL:

Thanks guys

I'll do a mixture of those later today.

Escaped to the football yesterday but got to go for a family photo session
this dinnertime so I'll let you know how I get on when I get back.

Extra question, if all is well, when I put the rad back on, which valve should I open first the left or right.

The t.valve also has the markings 'Boss' on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back