Radiator Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a central heating system with a Worcester 24cCDI combe boiler. The pipes to the radiators are 8mm and 10mm copper pipes. I am installing a shower in the bathroom but unfortunately I need to move/bend and extend 2 of the copper pipes to allow me to fit the waste pipe for the shower unit. To do this I need to disconnect the pipes from the pipe manifold (may not of get the correct terminology here). How/where do I relieve the pressure to allow me to disconnect these pipes??

Thanks
CliveB

Sponsored Links
You will need to drain the pipe run downstairs directly under the rad being drained .Look for a drain off under the rad, simply attach hose pipe and unscrew. You will need to vent the rad to maximise drain off.
I am assuming the manifold you are referring to is the valves under the rad and not the boiler connections :)

BAHCO

Thank you for your info.
I am, as you may have gathered I a bit of a novice at this game, but with bags of enthusiasm and a willingness to listen and learn from my betters.
The manifold is situated in the bathroom on the first floor with 8 pipers connected to it, these are 4 out and 4 in for 4 radiators. The manifold appears to be part of the main pipe run from the boiler.
The pipes I need to extend are two 10mm outward pipes to two radiators downstairs.
There dos'nt seem to be any drain points on these radiators apart from the normal value connectors at either end.

Hope this additional information will help.

CliveB

It looks like you will have to drain it the hard way :(
Choose which rad will be drained (downstairs,the one that is likely to drain particular drop) and place a large roller tray underneath.
Slowly undo one of the valves until you get some water escaping into the tray.
Keep scooping out the water into a bucket. The more you loosen the nut the more flow you will get. When the water finally slows down, open the vent on top of your rad to allow air in.
Repeat other valve to make sure all water is out.
Long process, could take 1/2 hour or more.
Have plenty of towels down :LOL:
If you are able put a drain on this rad for next time
Refill system after job done ;)

Sponsored Links
CH drain off points are often located on the outside of the property. Usually just under the damp course. Failing that have a look at all the large pipe runs on the ground floor, especially in an area where there are lots of exposed pipes, usually near the boiler.

After refilling remember to bleed the pump.

Thanks to all who replied to my question.

Job done.

Thanks again

CliveB

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back