Radiator problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have just bought a house on 5 levels (but really a 3 storey property) and cannot seem to get all the radiators working. The boiler is a Stelrad Ideal mexico Super 2 Model CF60 and the rads are supplied by microbore piping. The boiler is situated on the middle floor but the only rads that seems to get hot are the ones downstairs below the boiler. I have replaced the pump even though the previous one seemed to be working fine. I have also flushed the whole system and even dosed with c/h heating cleaner but still nothing.
When I bleed the rads with the pump off the water gushes out but with the pump on barely fills them. I have checked the header tank and that seems OK.

I am really at a loss to know what to do next. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You don't know what you're doing would be my guess.

Sounds like a case of blockage(s) balancing and microbore pipework would be a good starter for blockages, think you may be better off getting a professional in to sort the problem.

In time-honoured tradition, I will ask the usual question (aplogies to those who have heard it before, many times ;) )

"What happens to the cold rads when you turn off the working ones?"

Sponsored Links
Back to easyflow's diagnosis - blockage. If a whole group of rads aren't working, it may well be a manifold. If you can locate it and remove/clean, you might get lucky. Sounds like you need to get someone in.I don't like microbore on open vented systems.

If you've just bought the place, not sure how you would stand with sellers. Was it sold with a suspect system, or fully working as far as you were aware?

Many thanks for your help WS66. Most of the pipes are well hidden and possibly fitted well after the house was built and probably by someone like me, who isn't a plumber. (The lack of drain valves demonstrate this.)

I have contacted the seller who assures me that "the system worked fine when the property was sold". :eek:

I have decided to spend my money on a plumber next summer rather than a lawyer and have a new system fitted. I was just hoping there may have been a quick temporary fix someone could suggest that may just see me through the winter. I take on board your suggestion and will probably try flushing it all out again a few times. :)

Flushing a blocked manifold is unlikely to work, because you won't get any flow through where it needs to be. You'll just clean the pipes that already flow. If you're going for a new system, may not hurt to lift a few boards (they will need lifting anyway for new system) and try to find manifold. Then remove and clean.

But if you can live without the rads for remainder of winter, probably not worth the aggro.

Just had a look in the duct that runs from the ground floor all the way to the top floor and there doesn't seem to be a manifold as such. Just two lengths of 22mm pipe with the microbore pipes coming off at certain points. (a bit like a tree)

Any ideas why the ground floor radiator is red hot (a floor below the boiler and pump) yet all the others are stone cold?

Thinking now I need Dynorod or dynomite. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back