radiator problems - advice needed!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had BG out due to problems with upstairs rads. 2 of them are cool at the bottom & warm at the top, and the other one has now stopped heating up altogether. Turned off all downstairs rads, put heating on full, but this does not make much difference. No air in rads. Pipes to these rads are plastic instead of copper (new extension - downstairs pipes all copper), & BG said that this was the problem as the pipes were unbarriered?? causing build-up of sludge. Said that barriered pipes should have been used, and have recommended a complete replacement of upstairs heating pipes at god only knows what cost. Are BG winding me up or not? Would some kind of flush solve the problem? Any advice gratefully received. (The upstairs extension was completed about 6 years ago).

Sponsored Links
If they are non-barrier pipes then no they arent taking the ****. Non-barrier pipe allows air to be drawn into the system. This speeds up corrosion as fresh oxygen is always being introduced to the water.

A flush will solve the problem short term but the sludge will return within a few years. With all the inhibitor and filters in the world you wont prevent it reoccuring.

hi

so you can use varrier pipe and that will be ok? byt would copper be the best option?

Sponsored Links
If work was only done 6 years ago, should barriered pipes have been used on installation or was there no 'legal' (if you see what I mean!) requirement for the builder to use these?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back