Radiator water temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With soaring bills I am wondering what the most economical setting for the water temperature of the radiator system. There is no temperature gauge on my Worcester Bosch 24si II but there is a dot on the dial.
My thoughts are if the radiators heat up quicker, then the pump works less and may stay hotter for longer???
I have a Hive thermostat fitted too.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The critical thing is temperature loss across the system rather than maximum temperature. Most people think the return temperature should be hot so the boiler isn't 'working too hard', but that isn't correct. Condensing boilers are at their most efficient when the return temperature is relatively low compared to the flow temperature. There is an optimum difference - which I can't remember what it is - but it doesn't really matter because achieving it is near impossible anyway. The principle is to get as close as you can but whatever you do don't have hot water returning to the boiler. In theory you do that by measuring inlet and outlet temp on a radiator and adjusting the flow through the radiator to allow more heat to transfer to the room.

Stick yer boiler on 50 / 55

see how hot yer rads get ? And what ever temp they get to is about what they will be when you have to have an ashp :)

Sponsored Links
Back