Radiators and water both warm but not hot??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed over the last couple of nights that both the hot water and the radiators are not very hot. I can hold my hand under the hot water, its hot but not as hot as I expect where I need to take my hand from the water.

I'm pretty sure before I turned the central heating on the water was very hot, a few weeks ago I turned the heating on. Now I seem to have not very hot water and not very hot radiators.

Its a normal gas central heating boiler.

Please can someone help?

Sponsored Links
One thing I have read in the FAQs is that the temperature guage on the water tank should be 60 but ours was 50 so maybe that will help with the water?

Also reading sounds like the pump could be at fault causing the radiator temp issues, some are hotter than others too, its like the water is not being pumped around properly. The pump is on setting 3 of 3 so can;t turn it up.

What brand and model is the boiler? For example "Baxi solo 40/4 WM".

Most boilers have a temperature control, which controls how hot the water leaving the boiler is (as opposed to a thermostat which controls the temperature of the rooms).

Check nobody has turned the boiler temperature down. When the heating comes on, how long does the boiler run for? Does it seem to cycle on and off very quickly? If the boiler has a pilot light window, you will be able to see it fire up. If not you will be able to hear it.

Im not an expert, just some things I'd check. I've got my cylinder at 65 because my power shower wont work properly on anything less.

Something else I'd try is to close all radiators but one, forcing the water through it. Then move onto the next one. But open rad 2 before you close rad 1, so the water has somewhere to go!! Do this for all rads in turn. This should clear any settled muck in the system. Also bleed all radiators when you have done this.

Hot water wants to be on 60 as a minimum to prevent Legionella bacteria developing.

Initial guess is the pump isn't working properly, assuming boiler stat is at a sensible setting. Check length of time boiler is firing, if the pump isn't moving the water away the boiler will get up to temp very quickly and shut off. I wouldnt worry about the radiators for the time being.

Sponsored Links
Well all I did last night was change water temp to 60 on the tank, this morning both water and radiators seem very hot so all looks good now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back