Radiators are hot only for an hour then go cold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Honeywell VR4700e 1042 Boiler... control panel dowstairs turns on the heating & water (water seems to work fine btw), boiler fires up and switches off every 10 mins or so, radiators get hot for around an hour then boiler turns off completely, doesn't fire back up leaving radiators to go cold again.. after around 2 hours it starts up again?
thermostat in hall clicks at 15 degrees and starts the pump working, but does not start the boiler up if turned up to max temp.. pipes are cold at the top of the boiler once the radiators are cold so just dont understand why it takes so long to come back on.. surely the radiatiors should just stay warm for as long as the timer is set to on position? my house is cold at the minute for hours at a time! :)

i've had,

new pump
new 3 port valve
new control panel
new room thermostat.

all thermostatic valves are not on the radiators as they have been unscrewed..

i balanced the radiators as good as i could the other day as i had one radiator that was cold.. now seems to work ok but like i said only for an hour!

can anybody help?
thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a Honeywell VR4700e 1042 Boiler
Honeywell don't make boilers! That's the number of the Gas valve.

The boiler manufacturer's name (e,g Ideal, Baxi etc) should be in big letters on the case of the boiler. There should also be a data plate giving details of the boiler, including the Gas Council (GC) number.

This info is needed to help with the diagnosis.

I'd gamble that its the solenoid coils going open circuit after a while and then cool and remake.

could you elaborate a little on that please as i'm not sure what you mean.. is it repairable?

as for the boiler make & model lol i'm at work and asked my wife to give me the model number from it.. i had no idea honeywell dont make boilers :) i'm a printer not a plumber hehe :)

Sponsored Links
That model gas valve usually has 2 solenoid coils(red in colour) and you would need a multimeter to check voltage to these coils and also coil resistance.If the boiler should be on, check for 240v at the coils under the cover and if present but the boiler will not fire then coil is faulty.Remember you would be live testing so be safe.Those coils are available as a Honeywell Tradeline spare for a few quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back