radiators not filling up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! Please can anyone help. thr radiators seemed cold this morning so i drained some water off the bottom of the radiators to see if there was any sludge etc. (probably the wrong thing to do!). the bradiators wont now fill up , i have the air values open on the upstairs ones but they arnt filling up. any ideas? the extansion tank is full but not seeming to drain into the radiators , cheers richard

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have the classic cold feed blockage. The cold feed pipe will be blocked at the point where it tees into the rest of the system pipe work, hopefully in your airing cupboard next to the HW cylinder.

thanks for that ive tried a water vac to see if it clears.

im now getting a noise from the boiler and banging then air comes out of the radiator for a while the stops - any ideas?

thanks

richard

you haven't cleared the blockage yet. You will know when you have cleared it because water will then squirt forcefully out of the radiator bleed vents. Once you have cleared it you can add a mild desludging chemical like Sentinel X400 and circulate it for 4 weeks before draining and rinsing. It is no use adding a chemical when you already have a blockage because it will be unable to circulate.

Don't run the boiler or pump if they are not full of water. If they have air in them they may be damaged and anyway will not work properly.

Have you read the FAQ?

Sponsored Links
You need to cut out the offending blocked tee piece and replace.

Then you could do as John suggests.

Could even try the most basic thing first and check thet the header tank actually has water in it and the ball valve is not stuck. ;)

Tomorrow wont be too bad as will have mrs with me and saving my self for the 12 hour session on new years day.
She has been pre warned she asked me earlier what time are you going out new years day .
Answer between 12 and 1 so what time you back in , answer between 12 and 1 .
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back