Radiators only come on when hot water tank needs hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When The hot water tank is full (and does not need any hot water as it has reached the correct temperature) the radiators turn off, i.e. the boiler automatically turns off and the pump stops.

So to warm the house I have to run the hot water tap until the boiler kicks in and this then makes hot water for the tank and the radiators com on.

Where should I start looking for the problem?

TIA

Pat.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a dodgy microswitch in the CH motorised valve. ie valve opening, but switch not "making", in order to send power to boiler and pump. OR check connections in junction box, look for wire from Microswitch to boiler and pump and check for integrity. If any work has been recently done, this may have become detached or loose.

pat247 said:
When The hot water tank is full (and does not need any hot water as it has reached the correct temperature) the radiators turn off, i.e. the boiler automatically turns off and the pump stops.

So to warm the house I have to run the hot water tap until the boiler kicks in and this then makes hot water for the tank and the radiators com on.

Where should I start looking for the problem?

TIA

Pat.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:32 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a dodgy microswitch in the CH motorised valve. ie valve opening, but switch not "making", in order to send power to boiler and pump. OR check connections in junction box, look for wire from Microswitch to boiler and pump and check for integrity. If any work has been recently done, this may have become detached or loose.

Sponsored Links

Thanks for your help. The problem has now been resolved. I went and checked the motorised valve (moved the lever a few times) and the system is now working correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back