Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiators are getting red hot at the bottom, but staying cold at the top, this is happening with every radiator in the house, any ideas? is it a simple way to fix it myself or should I book repair job

Sponsored Links
My radiators are getting red hot at the bottom, but staying cold at the top, this is happening with every radiator in the house, any ideas? is it a simple way to fix it myself or should I book repair job
Have you tried bleeding the rads? Do it with the boiler turned off and let the radiators cool down.

Sponsored Links
Will try that, thanks, just noticed its only the upstaurs radiators downstairs are fine.

LOL I ordered a bleed key, I dont think rebuilding my house is an option, if that was the case Id buy a few blankets instead to keep warm lol

Your local DIY shop will have bleed keys on the shelf
Usually air in the system will find its way to the upstairs rads
As long as,when bled,it doesnt keep occuring
If you find you have to bleed them regularly there is probably a fault in the system

There are 4 radiators upstairs, I bled them all with the key, and one of them now works flawlessly, the other 2 get slightly warmer but not much, and the other one heats up one half but other half cold, how long do you bleed for? until hissing stops? or longer?

On all radiators the hissing lasted about 5 - 10 seconds.

Until water comes out that means they are full.
What type of system do you have is it open or sealed.
Is the pump on the return if open system.
If so turn the system off before you bleed it!
Open any motorised valves manually to allow the flow better again if open check small f/e tank in loft has water in it and ballvalve is not stuck in open position.
if sealed you will need refill sytem using filling loop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back