Rainwater drain under conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can give some advice

We're in the process of buying a house that has had a conservatory added a few years ago. The surveyor pointed out that the conservatory has been built over one of the plastic drains that carries water down from the gutters. The drain appears clear from looking in one of the manholes, so I think it's currently working OK.

What problems are there likely to be with this setup, presumably at the least it runs the risk of having to dig up the conservatory floor if there is a problem with the drain underneath?

Would this put you off buying the house, or is there something that could be done to resolve the issue? I suppose in worst case scenario a new drain could be put in and the downpipe re-routed?

Sponsored Links
It is possible that the drain was offered some protection when the conservatory foundation was put down, and covered with concrete, but I wouldnt be prepared to put any money on it! It's for rainwater, so less critical than a foul drain, IMHO worse case scenario is a collapse, although doubtful with a plastic pipe unless serious weight is put on it. Unlikely to happen in that position....

Without seeing the site its not easy to say for definate. Does the downpipe from the main roof enter via the conservatory roof, passing through the conservatory, before going into the underground section or does the underground pipe pass through under the floor? Either way it would probably be fairly straightforward to divert should need ever arise.

Sponsored Links
The downpipe is on one side of the conservatory (outside), goes underground, then the plastic drain runs under the conservatory to a manhole on the other side.

Sounds like it's not too much of an issue then, which is what I was hoping. Thanks for you replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back