Raised platform for 1st floor flat sundeck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, totally new to this forum and wondered whether people have any initial thoughts on how to achieve what I'd like to do. Assume planning permission will be required but its the structural element I'd like to get my head around.

I live in a first floor flat and have been speaking to my neighbors below about creating a platform suspended above their patio (circa 2mx2m). Whilst this might sound crazy next door neighbors have extended so lots of light has already been lost and in this case the neighbor below would benefit from a covered area.

I would plan to remove a window and replace with patio doors, and expect the platform to be constructed of metal beams, with 2 steel legs to support the outside edge, with the wall side edge being build against the exterior wall of the house. The platform would then need to be filled / decked floored / with drainage for rain water from the flat surface. I would then plan to use patio railing with frosted glass to obscure from other neighbors.

My question really is can anyone suggest where to begin looking for designs for such a structure, is this sort of thing made for the commercial sector that could be adapted easily for my wants?

Any pointers or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Magic

Sponsored Links
Speak to some architectural technicians, do some googling and find the kind of things you like, a good technician will lead you through the process, but yeah planning will be the stumbling block. Though if you can persuade your neighbours to write in to support it that may help, not forgetting the amendments to yours and your neighbours deeds to ensure you can stick some foundations and columns in their garden (presumably).

I would re-post this to the Planning forum. I think that the planners are most concerned about balconies over looking adjacent properties, so I would be pessimistic about your chances of success.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back