Raising a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are revamping the utility room in the back of the garage and would like to raise the floor to match the floor level in the rest of the house.

I know the basics of what should be done but want to make sure I get the order exactly right.

There is currently a partition wall between the garage and the utility, the utility is tiled plaster board and the garage is chipboard. I plan to remove this wall, and build a brick wall 2 bricks high.

This will then give me an area to raise with the two brick high wall being the boundary.

It's approx 160mm that I need to raise the floor.

Currently the floor is a good solid concrete base which has been painted. There are no signs of damp in the utility or the garage.

So I plan to buy 100mm Polystyrene type insulation and put that down then pour concrete over the top to level it up with the two bricks.

I presume I need to put some dpm down and are my thickness correct?

So I would put down a dpm first with it going up the walls.
I would then put the sheets of polystyrene down just butting them up against each other.
I would then put another layer of dpm over the polystyrene to stop the concrete coming into contact with the polystyrene.
I would then put the concrete over the top.

That would be 100mm of insulation and approx 60mm of concrete.

Is that all OK? Can anyone recommend any better way? Can anyone recommend a good insulation to use at 100mm thick on a budget!

The room is approx 2m x 4m

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any ideas if the above is correct - need to do it asap and don't want to get it wrong!

Thanks - i tried in there first but didn't get much help,

So I thought some people in the flooring area may have a better idea!

Not sure if people just don't know, or if I'm not supplying enough info, or if people just don't want to say :?:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back