raising garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am hoping to convert my garage to a dining room but the floor is 1 'brick' approx 80mm lower than the floor in the lounge.

I will be getting a door knocked through but wanted the floors to both be the same height.

i will construct a stud wall to create a 'mini' or short garage so no need to infill the garage door.

I have done lots of 'googling' but I'm still a little unsure if my approach is right.

>lay a DPM onto of the existing garage floor

>lay 50mm kingspan or similar

>lay 18mm chipboard flooring

>lay flooring insulation and laminate

If this is right then when laying the kingspan do i create a 'frame' to lay them in or so they just sit in the floor and taped together?

hope somebody can help!

Sponsored Links
Too many variables to advise you on a conversion like this, too many issues, not least fire, and BCO.

Perhaps get a professional paid view on site and maybe an architectural technician's drawing?

i have had three quotes and each person advises differently.

Having locked at building regs it appears that what I'm thinking of doing should be fine.

My question is more around the actual job of doing it. from what i have seen it just lay the kingspan ontop of the dpm and then just lay chipboard flooring as a floating floor across it. hence the do i need t lay 'joists' or do i use loft boards that are interlocking.

Sponsored Links
You may need to ventilate the floor space in case there is moisture rising through the concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back