raking out mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a diyer raking out pointing joints, is he better off with grinder or chisel and hammer?

I've read conflicting reports on which method is best to get rid of the 2.5cm existing mortar.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I've used both methods over the years, and it depends on the amount of pointing that you need to do which method you use. I've also use a Hilti gun which was very good. However I often felt that if you had to grind out the joints or knock them out with a gun that they were not that bad to start with. Using a plugging chisel means a lot less dust, which often sticks to the brickwork. Grinding them with a diamond blade is a lot quicker. The Hilti gun made a lot less dust.

Sponsored Links
If its soft mortar or soft mortar with a loose harder face, then a chisel is much quicker

If some of the mortar is still hard and the arrises soft, then a chisel with chip the arises and repointing can look a mess

If you use a grinder, use a proper (thicker) grinding blade not a cutting blade

I've used a rake attachment but found it harder to see the joint properly to allow the tool to be pushed in a straight line. Also, dust is just as bad unless a high powered vacuum is used too

isn't using a chisel more likely to cause some damage to nearby bricks ?

thks

Have you seen what a carelessly aimed angle grinder can do? What sort of mortar is it? If it needs much effort to get it out, it probably doesn't need doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back