Range Rover Evoque with many faults(now there's a surprise)

Evoque's are known as E.jokes for a reason.

As a long term owner of several LR (not JLR) products I mourn the decline of one of the world's most respected brands.
But that's the world today, everything is disposable.
I thought they had always had a poor reputation e.g. drive-shafts, miserable electrical plugs and connectors . Since circuits were much simpler, this usually only affected certain accessories and was therefore almost self-diagnosing.

I had a journalist friend who lived in rural E Africa and bought a Defender new ( 40 years ago ) and said it was ridiculous how many obvious faults were still built-in to the vehicle and Leyland had no interest in spending any money to design them out.

The only one I recall was the spare-wheel mounted on the back-door whuch he said would rip the door off with the continuous pounding over deeply-rutted dirt roads.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I thought they had always had a poor reputation e.g. drive-shafts, miserable electrical plugs and connectors . Since circuits were much simpler, this usually only affected certain accessories and was therefore almost self-diagnosing.

I had a journalist friend who lived in rural E Africa and bought a Defender new ( 40 years ago ) and said it was ridiculous how many obvious faults were still built-in to the vehicle and Leyland had no interest in spending any money to design them out.

The only one I recall was the spare-wheel mounted on the back-door whuch he said would rip the door off with the continuous pounding over deeply-rutted dirt roads.
Interesting, 1983 was the year the 110 (not named Defender until 1990) was introduced, so your friend would have been driving an early example of the model.
British Leyland wouldn't have been to blame for penny-pinching at that time as Land Rover had ceased to be funded by the parent company (who had been syphoning off LR's profits to prop up BL's other failures for years) in 1998 when it became LR Ltd.

The only one I recall was the spare-wheel mounted on the back-door whuch he said would rip the door off with the continuous pounding over deeply-rutted dirt roroads
Happened here too. Too much weight at the wrong place twisted the door frame and end result was fumes in the back at 1st, followed by water ingress and then a physical gap

Sponsored Links
Happened here too. Too much weight at the wrong place twisted the door frame and end result was fumes in the back at 1st, followed by water ingress and then a physical gap
Physical gaps, in a LR .. surely not :giggle:
Early form of air-con, but without the complication.

S2 & 3 were the worst for this malady as they only had 2 hinges to support the door .. at least the 110 had 3.
My last was a S3 safari with a swing-away wheel carrier, risky though as rear seat passengers could never open the rear door from inside the vehicle.

Back