Rattly non-rising spindle upstairs basin hot tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
-

Good evening all,

I would be grateful for any advice about a tap.

The tap concerned is a non-rising spindle upstairs basin hot tap. It starts to rattle almost as soon as the water flow starts. It rattles whether the water coming through it is hot or cold. It stops rattling once the water flow is more than about 50% of full flow. The tap is connected to plastic pipe: two right angle bends take it to a short length of copper, and thence to a stop valve, followed by more copper. I have changed the tap headgear, but the rattle remains.

There is less sense of rattle at the stop valve, making me think that it is definitely the tap that is rattling. It does not not seem to be coming up from under the floorboards. It feels like a hard metallic rattle.

Throttling the flow with the stop valve makes no difference until the flow is so small that the rattle will not be taking place anyway.

Probably foolish newbie questions, but could the seat be loose? Could wear to the seat cause the water flow to be off centre and so rattle the washer assembly?

Grateful for any suggestions.

Regards,

Springnuts.

_

Sponsored Links
could be a small blob of solder loose in the pipe :idea:

Thanks Nige - not sure how I would test for that :)

Regards,

Springnuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back