Ravenheat Boiler prob

Jaa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:) Hi'Guys, my central heating shut itself down last night and I noticed the pressure gauge was reading 3-4bar instead of 1 bar! as the system cooled overnight the pressure dropped back, I bled a radiator so that the pressure fell back to 1bar and switch the system on again, after 15min the pressure climbed again to 3-4 bar.
Boiler is Ravenheat RSF84ET
Any help gratefully taken. Thank you in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
From your description I would consider checking the pressure in the expansion vessel. This generally sits at the rear of your boiler, normally bright red on Ravenheat boilers (~40cm diameter) and has a valve inlet resembling something off a car tyre valve.
If the boiler hasnt been serviced for a long time the pressure may decrease in the bladder within the expansion vessel over time. If water comes out of the valve then it's likely the bladder has perferated and a new expansion vessel is needed.
I should point out I'm not a plumber but I have experience of repairing boilers in my own properties over the years.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jaa
Poisonata Many thanks for your info, I have check the valve on the expansion vessel, No water only air that is under presure.

The only suggestion I can make is to ensure the expansion vessel pressure is correct. The boiler needs to be switched off and the circulating liquid cool (leave it off overnight). I have repressurised a boiler expansion vessel before using a car tyre foot pump with pressure guage. You will need to check the boiler manual as to the suggested pressure.

My previous experiences of boilers are when the expansion vessel is faulty the pressure rises very rapidly (possibly enough to activate the emergency Pressure Relief Valve). When the boiler is switched off (and cool) the pressure may then drop to below the original starting pressure if fluid has been lost to the PRV.

If your PRV has been activated keep an eye on this as they are notoriously bad for resealing properly. This may prove costly if your system is filled with expensive inhibitor and the PRV leaks slowly over time.

Check this first as it may be an easy (cost free) fix for you.

Sponsored Links
:) Hi'Guys, my central heating shut itself down last night and I noticed the pressure gauge was reading 3-4bar instead of 1 bar! as the system cooled overnight the pressure dropped back, I bled a radiator so that the pressure fell back to 1bar and switch the system on again, after 15min the pressure climbed again to 3-4 bar.
Boiler is Ravenheat RSF84ET
Any help gratefully taken. Thank you in anticipation.

I know this may be an obvious one but have you checked the filling loop is completely off? Could someone have knocked it?

Bingo andyroo1 don't know how but it may have been open, I checked opened and re-closed set correct pressure again and switched system on, now heater is running ok, I will check the expansion vessel presure later.
The boiler is 13 years old now so it may be a good time to look at one of these boiler exchange offers before next winter.
Thank you both very much for your help.
Best regards John.

Bingo andyroo1 don't know how but it may have been open, I checked opened and re-closed set correct pressure again and switched system on, now heater is running ok, I will check the expansion vessel presure later.
The boiler is 13 years old now so it may be a good time to look at one of these boiler exchange offers before next winter.
Thank you both very much for your help.
Best regards John.

Anytime :D I had the same problem once, and it sounded similar. Glad to have helped.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jaa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back