Ravenheat CSI system boiler not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My first post and it's a solution to a common problem with the above boiler.

Mine's been problematic for the last 4-6 years, most recently it started failing to ignite yet again, so as before I replaced the pilot light assy (a known problem with these) but this time that didn't resolve the problem.

So after much testing I came to the conclusion the spark had started to get week, I had the pilot assy on the outside of the combustion chamber so I could clearly see the spark and then I noticed tiny sparks at various points along the HT lead connecting to the electrode and realised the HT lead had started to deteriorate and had become leaky.

So I cut back the cable and reterminated at a point before the damage and low and behold the spark was strong again.
This is not an easy one to spot in a well lit room, I only noticed it when I turned out the lights to see the spark better.

This has had me foxed for a while and there doesn't seem to be any other reference to it so I thought I'd share.

Sponsored Links
That's what hearing is for, don't need dark. I'm an experienced RGI, you however aren't.

The leaky sparks made no sound they were that small.

Boilers may not be my area of expertise but I am a qualified electrical/mechanical engineer.
A boiler is merely a processor controlled set of valves and sensors, how hard can it be.

Its illegal to remove the combustion chamber of a boiler and can lead to a 12 month prison sentence and upto£20 000 fine . Theres a lot more to it than valves and sensors if it was that easy all electrical engineers would be doing it, pat you self on your back and hope you have not done some thing that could lead to your family or some else been killed.i know how to sew but I wouldnt go and start stiching people up in hospital or be so ignorant to think thats all been a doctor involved .

Sponsored Links
When ever you enter a boiler there is an whole raft of knowlage and saftey checks that youneed, to be able to check if a gas appliance is working properly . Gas engineers are retested every 5 years to make sure they are competent to do there job .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back