RCCB keeps tripping at random times

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved and having minor ? problem with electrics. The Crabtree RCCB trips at random (5 times in last 4 months). It is connected to a Wylex model 804 consumer unit ( None of the trips drop out). I contacted Wylex who said it's not their unit causing problem but most likely faulty earthing causing the RCCB to drop out.
Any ideas or help to sort the problem most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
An electrician will have the appropriate test equipment which may be able to diagnose the fault, but on your own, its trial and error.

Sponsored Links
Is it quite an old unit, this smacks of a VO-ELCB, something which it no longer recognised by the regs, or british standards.

It may have 'Voltage Operated Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker' written on it somewhere, any chance of a picture?

Is it quite an old unit, this smacks of a VO-ELCB, something which it no longer recognised by the regs, or british standards.

It may have 'Voltage Operated Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker' written on it somewhere, any chance of a picture?

Pics as requested

View media item 8907View media item 8908
A new current operated type. Poor design though having this covering the whole installation. Looks to have been installed recently, probably to replace an old voltage operated one.

As for the random tripping - could be almost anything. Water in outside lights, faulty heating elements, damaged cables, loose connections. Not something which can be diagnosed without the correct test equipment.

As for the random tripping - could be almost anything. Water in outside lights, faulty heating elements, damaged cables, loose connections. Not something which can be diagnosed without the correct test equipment.

Can also be something plugged in, I've found things in the kitchen to be the worst culprits. Ovens and washing machines I've come across more than once. I would suggest swapping appliances between RCD'd sockets and non-RCD's sockets, but seeing as the RCD is covering all circuits this wouldn't help you! Is it tripping out at night time? Could be a fridge (obviously thats on 24 7)

Can also be something plugged in, I've found things in the kitchen to be the worst culprits. Ovens and washing machines I've come across more than once. I would suggest swapping appliances between RCD'd sockets and non-RCD's sockets, but seeing as the RCD is covering all circuits this wouldn't help you! Is it tripping out at night time? Could be a fridge (obviously thats on 24 7)

You could be onto something!! The last 2 trips were in middle of night - I'll check the fridge & freezer as they are on 24/7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back