RCCB Not switching on

So (at last), it seems that you have a standalone RCD? In which case you should simply switch off the main switch on that adjacent Wylex fusebox in order to reset the RCD. Having done that, the RCD should reset if there's power to it. If it doesn't, then it needs replacement

By the way: does that green/yellow wire in your photo, lead to an indepedent earth stake?

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
Yes I have a stand alone RCD, but the output from it goes to the switch adjacent to it - the feed for the RCD comes underground from the Main consumer unit in the house, which was the one I have been referring to when saying I have switched off power to the garage.The green/yellow wire goes from the switch shown in the garage to an earth stake and looks fine.

Thanks for all your efforts guys, hand in pocket time me thinks!
:(

So, what happens when you switch off the Wylex fuse board? Does the RCD reset?

You're making hard work of this simple enquiry, if you don't mind my saying.

Lucia.

enough asking stupid questions..
if it doesn't reset with the main CU off then it's nackered, get a new one.. end of..

Sponsored Links
Coljack: Did you really mean the main CU 'off' - or the smaller fuse box 'off' (downstream from the RCD)?

Lucia.

main.. should reset if there's no power through it at all....

does YOUR rcd drop out when you have a power cut?

With all power to the garage turned off, with output wires from rccb disconnected, with the Wyflex switch off, in fact in any scenario mentioned previously, the off/on switch on the rccb returns immediately to the off position, and will not stay on in any shape or form!

Thanks guys again for your efforts, will call time on this one!

OK. IF it returns to the off position with NO POWER feeding the unit, then it is mechanically damaged and needs to be replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back