RCD Circuit Breaker on Main Fuse Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just purchased a new toaster from Next, 4 slice.

Set the controls to setting 5 (out of 6, 6 being the darkest), and put both sides of the toaster (2 slots on left side, 2 slots on right side) to "on" but without any bread inside the toaster (as per instruction book with stated that this needs to be done to get rid of the burning odour smell that new toasters initially make).

The toaster went through its full cycle for both sides (i.e. the heating elements came on, were on for about 2-3 mins each and then the slot mechanism popped back up).

I then tried to do the same thing immediately again (i.e. put both sides of the toaster to "on", again without any bread, and again on setting 5), the main fuse box seems to have tripped (see pictures below - red circled switch on first image is set to down (green?)).

A couple of queries:-

1. Is it ok to put the switch on the main fuse box (that seems to have tripped) back up, or is there anything that I need to do/check first?

2. Is the toaster itself dodgy; or has the fuse tripped because the toaster has cut itself out, presumably caused by me trying to make the toaster go through another cycle immediately after it had finished the previous cycle, and with both these cycles having no bread in the toaster (whereas in "normal" operating circumstances (i.e. with bread actually in the toaster) the toasting mechanism is unlikely to ever overheat)?

Sponsored Links
Unplug toaster and put the rcd back up.

Could be the roster at fault or something else plugged into the sockets

Putting the toster straight back on again will usually result in burnt toast but should not cause an rcd trip.

Try it again.
If it fails again unplug all other sockets try toster again and if it fails return it to shop.

1. Is it ok to put the switch on the main fuse box (that seems to have tripped) back up, or is there anything that I need to do/check first?
Yes it may just be a coincidence that the RCD whilst using the new toaster, may never happen again, but if it does, unplug and take off load everything on this circuit, then try the toaster, if the RCD then trips there is possible one of two issue, toaster is faulty or RCD is!
Options are return toaster/ramp test RCD
2. Is the toaster itself dodgy; or has the fuse tripped because the toaster has cut itself out, presumably caused by me trying to make the toaster go through another cycle immediately after it had finished the previous cycle, and with both these cycles having no bread in the toaster (whereas in "normal" operating circumstances (i.e. with bread actually in the toaster) the toasting mechanism is unlikely to ever overheat)?
Could be faulty toaster or RCD as answered above.
It is not a fuse, RCDs detect earth leakage, this is often found in appliances with heating elements such as toasters.
I doubt the way you used the toaster has anything to do with it, try the toaster again, it could be pure coincidence that the RCD tripped and everything is fine. But it could be faulty toaster/RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back