rcd consumer unit and radial cooker thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, an anyone help?
I am having a kitchen fitted, my fitter has just informed me that on top of the consumer unit and RCD, I will also need to have a radial cooker thing (sorry for not being exact) for our range dual fuel cooker. He says this is going to be another £120 to do. Can anyone confirm if this is a reasonable price to pay for this work, which is on top of the £240 for the consumer unit with RCD?

Sponsored Links
The radial circuit will be because you have a large electric cooker that needs a high-amperage supply, with a thick cable and a high-rated MCB. The price is not unreasonable, but it is important that the person fitting it is qualified to self-certify his installation and issue you with a Completion Certificate which covers the new Consumer Unit and any electrical work in the kitchen (this is required by Building Regulations and will also probably be needed when you sell the house). Some kitchen fitters do electrical work but are not qualified. Some are. Ask him if he is a member of a self-certification scheme, and which one, and if he is going to provide you with a certificate. If not you might do better to get a proper qualified electrician in. If he says you can get the council building inspector in, that is true, but will probably double the cost.

Many thanks JohnD. The fitter is bringing an electrician in to do the work tomorrow, hopefully he can provide the documents you refer to. This is all very new to me, so thank goodness for the web!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back