rcd keeps tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.can anyone help.i have split load consumer unit fitted with two rcd,s.first one controls sockets for ground floor and first floor and also lighting.during day it tripped out once which i reset it and was working fine for few hours.if i keep ground floor sockets mcb off then it is working fine.if keep it on position it keeps cutting off.i would keep this mcb off during night time so we can use extention lead for fridge from first floor.boiler feed also is from ground floor means going to be cold night.what do i need to check first.could it be something wrong with sockets or mcb itself is developed a fault.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could be all sorts of things.

How long has the dual RCD board been installed?
When did the problem start happening?

fitted with two rcd,s.first one controls sockets for ground floor and first floor and also lighting.
What does the second RCD protect?

more than likely you have a faulty appliance, could be washing machine, dish washer, pump on boiler, oven, elec hob, the list goes on and on.

Could be all sorts of things.

How long has the dual RCD board been installed?
When did the problem start happening?

fitted with two rcd,s.first one controls sockets for ground floor and first floor and also lighting.
What does the second RCD protect?
it has started happining today.second rcd protects second floor sockets and lights.new board is fitted about 2 years ago.

Sponsored Links
You could try running appliances one at a time on an extension lead from the 2nd floor, and see which one trips the other RCD.

With the extension lead make sure you avoid tripping hazards of the fallie-down-stairs sort, and that it can cope with the load. As it'll be a long run you might like to make your own using 2.5mm² flex.

But before all that, do you have any outside lighting or power taken from the downstairs socket circuit?

You could try running appliances one at a time on an extension lead from the 2nd floor, and see which one trips the other RCD.

With the extension lead make sure you avoid tripping hazards of the fallie-down-stairs sort, and that it can cope with the load. As it'll be a long run you might like to make your own using 2.5mm² flex.

But before all that, do you have any outside lighting or power taken from the downstairs socket circuit?
yesterday night i pluged fridge on first floor using long lead.and left ground floor 32amp mcb off which was tripping rcd.this morning i have switched 32amp mcb on again,nothing happened.i pluge in all the appliances ,fridge,tv,computer.washing machine hood central heatig etc,nothing happened.everything is working fine.all day nothing happened.i do not know why rcd was tripping when ground floor 32 amp mcb was switched on every time.i will keep you posted if it happened again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back