RCD Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a survey carried out on a property I am buying and the report said:
"the electricity meter adn consumer board are located under the stairs. The installation appears to have been partially upgraded fairly recently but may still not meet current standards as there does not appear to be a split consumer unit with RCD protection"

is the main purpose of havign this for use of eletrical appliances outside. An electrician I spoke to told me one way of resolving the issue was to have an RCD socket installed either near the outside door or on an outside wall. Will this offer adeuqate protection?

Sponsored Links
Not an expert but i think the regs say that Showers, cookers, hot tubs etc. and any socket that could be used to supply outdoor equiptment needs to be protected with an RCD or RCBO (MCB & RCD in one little device).

Hope this helps

Jamie

what make is the consumer unit?

How many socket circuits are there? Is there an electric shower? is the cooker near the back door? Does the cooker switch have an integral socket?

Is there just a front and back door, or are there patio doors, french windows etc?

Have you already bought this house? Are you thinking of renting it out?

jamie.aston said:
Not an expert but i think the regs say that Showers, cookers, hot tubs etc. and any socket that could be used to supply outdoor equiptment needs to be protected with an RCD or RCBO (MCB & RCD in one little device).

Hope this helps

Jamie

1)The regulations do not actually require showers to be rcd protected providing the disconnection times are met regarding earth loop impedance, however most shower manufacturers recommend it and it is usual practice to do so.

2) Cookers are fixed equipment and do not require themselves but as it has been said the circuit may require it if there is a socket on the control unit-either that, or change control unit to an ordinary suitably rated switch

3) Good idea to protect hot tubs

Sponsored Links
as far as i have been told....

an installation does not have to meet the current wiring regulations..

it only has to be electrically safe, and meet the regulations that were in effect when it was last re-wired.. otherwise every time an addendum or new version of the regs came out we'd all have to have minor works done to comply..

if you're going to get it re-wired, best to do it now before you move in as it's easier.. even if that means you have to spend a week in a B'n'B ..

a full rewire with a new CU and new sockets etc will set you back in the region of about £2000 and will take between 4 and 7 days depending on circumstances..

Earthing and bonding must be up to scratch before any alterations or additions are carried out. The existing installation must be suitable the additional load. As for circuits unaffected by the addition/alteration, there is a box for comments on the existing installation on the EIC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back