rcd tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
rcd tripping for no apparant reason i have checked all ccts ok the supply is a TT sysyem and so are the neighbours. earth rod fitted. measured tripping current using ramp test, tripped at 21mA. checked at 1/2 tripping current no trip untill pc plugged in. however rcd has tripped with pc disconnected. could a fault on the neighbours ccts affect my rcd through the common earth. the problem is much more apparant in the wet weather.

Sponsored Links
Very VERY rare for a neighbours to interfere with yours.

30mA RCD on entire install?? not good.

I suspect there is a fault that you have not located - how have you tested??

You need to disconnact ALL Neutrals from the CU's bar, ans use an insulation tester to test each circuit to earth.

Sounds like you have not tested deep enough.

i have disconnected each cct L/N AND E. meggered phase/neutral, phase/earth and neutral/earth with 500v all clear with <300meg. with all ccts isolated and only one ring main connected ramp tested rcd and still tripping between 21 and 23ms.

If you are sure - then replace the RCD.

Did you test the RCD with all circuit L and N disconnected??

Sponsored Links
Make your mind up!!

21 mA or 21ms?

If it is tripping at a current significantly lower than the rated, then it is worth exchanging it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back