RCD tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Six days ago the RCD tripped out during a thunder storm, and since then has been tripping out between 5 and 10 times a day. Sometimes it won't reset immediately even when I disengage all the light and ring circuits, any ideas please?.......DAVID.

Sponsored Links
If it happened during a thunder storm, it might have been damaged, especially if it is a fairly modern electronic one and/or there was a lightening strike nearby. You can have it professionally tested, but the cost of having this done is probably not much less than the cost of having a new one fitted and tested.

Had it not been for the thunder storm, I would have thought that a circuit fault has developed, which the RCD is protecting you from.

If it happens even when you have turned off all the MCBs (which isolate the Phase only) then I would be thinking about a neutral-to-earth fault, probably on an RCD protected circuit, but can be difficult to track down.

I suppose there is no chance the storm could have got rainwater into e.g. an outside light or fitting?

Is there any outside wiring or equipment connected? what about water in the loft?

Switching off circuits at the mcb WILL NOT clear a neutral-earth fault.

Sponsored Links
It may have been coincidence at the lightning episode. IMO, you have two options: -

Assume that the RCD unit is faulty and replace with like for like, having observed all the safety isolation procedures.

Or: -

Get a competent electrician to carry out some tests.

Jaymack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back