re-designing entire house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just bought a two-bedroom house (my first), and I have to admit that though it looked really great during the viewing, it looks rather forlorn and not my style, now that I've finally moved in (its empty at the moment).

Following is what I'm planning to do at the moment:

1. Re-do entire kitchen - the existing kitchen has wooden cupboards (it looks like oak), but they are too dark, and with the existing plan, I wouldn't be able to fit the American-style fridge freezer that I'm smitten from. Also, I think there are far too many cupboards (coving all of two walls). I've redesigned what I think is a "contemporary" kitchen with cupboards only on one side of the wall - no cupboards where the chimney/extractor would be. The new doors will be a birch, light in colour, with all appliances fitted in (dishwasher, washer/dryer, gas hob/oven/grill).
+ MFI have quoted roughly £5000 (including about £1200 for installation), plus they mention there will be extra charges where the gas or water pipes will have to be diverted
+ KitchensDirect to some really good kitchens and after their initial "quote" of some £13000, they are offering a 60% "discount", which comes to exactly £5000. The units will again be the same quality (though they claim better), and will be made to measure (which is good, since with MFI two of my cupboards would have stuck out from the rest - those that house the boiler)
+ Magnet/Homebase kitchens come to approximately the same price as well.

The trade-off between MFI and KitchensDirect is, MFI will install all NEFF appliances for the cost, while KD will go with Tecnic. MFI will build using lego blocks more or less, while KD will be made-to-measure.

2. Bedrooms - I've had wild quotes for these (MFI and Sharps 3000 and 5000 respectively, excluding beds). Any suggestions for good bedroom designs?

3. Flooring - I want to remove the existing carpets and get solid wood floors. I'm looking for suggestions and pitfalls for this

4. Fireplace wall/surround removal - The living has this what I call a fake fireplace (a wall protruding out about 12 inches). If I want to remove it, will I need planning permission for it?

I have parts of the plan completed using a 3D software, which I will upload somewhere today and post a link

Thanks
M

Sponsored Links
3) Wood is unsuitable for stairs, so if you go for wood floors, bear in mind that you will need carpet (either full-width or a strip ) on your stairs.

4) Impossible to tell from your description. If the fireplace is purely cosmetic, non-structural, then you shouldn't need permission. However, I knew someone who wanted a big hideous 70s-style "feature" wall removed, and it turned out to be structural. A picture might make it more obvious, but you should still get a builder/structural engineer to have a look before making any judgement.

heeelllooo manav and welcome :LOL: :LOL:

another thing worth concidering is the electrics and plumbing throut the house if it needs renewing best to do it before you refurbish any rooms otherwise youll keep undoing the work youve just done if it needs renewing ;)

AdamW said:
3) Wood is unsuitable for stairs, so if you go for wood floors, bear in mind that you will need carpet (either full-width or a strip ) on your stairs.

If the stairs are of wood (pine mostly) strip it bare (if not to much damaged), varnish (or oil) and stick 'half-moon' carpet (hessian is nice) tiles on.
We have had those for years now and look great, not slippery and still showing some of the wood.

As for wood in other rooms :p

Sponsored Links
I will pass on a tip I have discovered, and since heard from other people:

If you plan on changing the bathroom at any time in the future, try to get that done first. After a day of DIYing and getting mucky, there is nothing better than stepping into a high-powered shower. And it is THE hardest room to live without whilst you do it. A kitchen isn't too bad, just so long as you have a freezer full of microwave dinners and a microwave, you are pretty much set. But you can't do without a toilet! :LOL:

Obviously taking into account any future changes you plan to plumbing and drainage.

Thanks AdanW

That makes sense - I do plan to get a carpet-strip on the stairs. Also, I'd like to add these are just the plans, I have the contractors coming in early morning today to give me quotes and their recommendations.

I have taken the pictures of this "fake" fireplace, but I will be able to upload them only after a few hours (low camera battery, and its midnight right now)
AdamW said:

4) Impossible to tell from your description. If the fireplace is purely cosmetic, non-structural, then you shouldn't need permission. However, I knew someone who wanted a big hideous 70s-style "feature" wall removed, and it turned out to be structural. A picture might make it more obvious, but you should still get a builder/structural engineer to have a look before making any judgement.

A big D'oh! moment!

The very first day when I moved in, I realized the phone socket in the living room was rather lonely with no electric points nearby (so no cordless phone, no ADSL router), and then I plumb forgot about it all!!

Aah! So much to do...., but thanks big-all:)

big-all said:
heeelllooo manav and welcome :LOL: :LOL:

another thing worth concidering is the electrics and plumbing throut the house if it needs renewing best to do it before you refurbish any rooms otherwise youll keep undoing the work youve just done if it needs renewing ;)

On top of everything already listed, I think I'm going to add the following (budget permitting)

1. The living room has a door to kitchen, and the partition between the two is wooden. I think the door is un-necessary, since I don't think one would want to close it so often (especially since when I install an extractor in the kitchen, I wouldn't have a real need). So, I'm going to get rid of the kitchen door and the frame, and get someone to arch the door frame.
2. Quite close to the kitchen door, is another of those ugly traditional radiators. Since the stairs to first floor are at the back of the living room (starting from the far-end where the kitchen door is), I'm going to get the carpenter to move the radiator to under the stairs.

I've taken the pictures, and so hopefully, when I'm more awake, I'll be able to upload them somewhere.

Any suggestions on this?

Also, any recommendations for not prohibitively expensive, but modern radiators? I looked at www.livinghouse.co.uk - some of the radiators looked awesome, but frightfully expensive...

Forgot to add this last time, but I've selected the colours for the paints (I know I'm all over the place right now). Here's the strategy:

I want to get two-tones in each room, so I've taken calming shades for the living room. The lower half (not really a "half", but the lower part) will be a slighly darker shade (of the two, not really dark), while the remaining will be the lighter. The joint between the two, will be covered via a strip of wallpaper/lining.

Just realized that fake "fireplace" effect wall is wooden (might even perhaps be hollow). Can I not take it apart myself? The real worry is being able to plaster witih some finish, but I'm assuming it shouldn't be too much of a problem to install the coving (once the "fireplace wall" is knocked out).

How hard is plastering? Especially with a DIY'er with no experience .. :)

(I have a feeling I'm asking for trouble...)

AdamW said:

manav, please note 10 a

AdamW said:
I will pass on a tip I have discovered, and since heard from other people:

If you plan on changing the bathroom at any time in the future, try to get that done first. After a day of DIYing and getting mucky, there is nothing better than stepping into a high-powered shower. And it is THE hardest room to live without whilst you do it. A kitchen isn't too bad, just so long as you have a freezer full of microwave dinners and a microwave, you are pretty much set. But you can't do without a toilet! :LOL:

Obviously taking into account any future changes you plan to plumbing and drainage.
Does this mean I have to stop doing poopies over our fence ??????

When we did our kitchen about 15 years ago now, we were recommended to use Amtico for the kitchen floor. It was excellent advice, expensive, but warm, easy to clean, and it still looks as good as it did on the day it was laid.
Here is a link
http://www.amtico.com/home/whats_new.asp

Scoby_Beasley said:
Does this mean I have to stop doing poopies over our fence ??????

Depends... Who do you live nextdoor to? :LOL: That must take some skill, I haven't even seen a cat that can go poopy whilst balanced on a fence :eek:

Manav, if you wish to upload pictures, try a free image server such as http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/. What you do is to upload your picture, then when it is done use the address it gives you when writing your post.

Only a personal opinion, but unless you know the area and neighbours already I would wait a few months to check you are happy.This would also give you a feel for what would and what wouldn't work.
Some of your ideas are quite personal, expensive and may not really up the value of the house, even though they would cost a lot. It would be a shame if the area didn't live up to your expectations and you had wasted your money. These things do happen.

I'm going to get the carpenter to move the radiator to under the stairs.
His reply would be interesting! :LOL:

Manav,

I think you should count to 10 first. Honestly, I'm getting tired just reading your plans.

I would worry that you are going to take on a hundred jobs at once, live in a bombsite for god knows how long, and possibly come out the other side disappointed with the result because you didn't take enough time to look at each room individually.

If you've just move in I presume you plan staying for a while.

Relax, decide on your priorities, and take it one step at a time.

All the best.

P.S. We are not long into our new house, and there were many things about it that did not match our recollections from the viewings. I think that always happens.

We decided to get the children's rooms done first and get them settled in. That's done now and they are sleeping like, well, babies. Then we sorted the bathroom out and I'm now concentrating on necessities like staining badly dried window frames, before tackling the cosmetic stuff in our bedroom and the public rooms.

When I get that all done, I get to turn my attention to the fun bit: partitioning the garage to make my retreat/office.

Hi Confiteor

Thanks for your comments. I couldn't agree more. When I moved in, the house looked, well disappointing. When it was done up by the earlier owner, everything looked great and in harmony with all the elements, but when she moved all her stuff out of the house, it wasn't quite the same.

I did spend a fair bit of time - working the design plans on a 3D home designing software, looking at samples on the Internet, and also with retailers at DIY stores like B&Q/MFI, etc., and finally with some designers, to see what they'd recommend and what'd go with what.

The initial plan was what you suggested - take a room at a time, while keeping the design elements similar. The order I went in was:
1. The Kitchen - since I believe its the biggest seller (if I ever have to), and also the place where I felt the least comfortable with the current design.
2. The bathroom - for obvious reasons
3. The bedroom and living room in no particular order.

The rest of the elements just came up one after the other, like a rush. I had the same concerns as you, but I think, I finally have tied most loose ends.

Here's the update:
1. The fake fireplace wall has been taken down and the toilet waste pipe that was under it has been redirected outside
2. The "arch" is complete.
3. The bathroom should be completed by Tuesday, along with plastering and finishing touches to the arch, etc.

I will then finish off the paint, and then the flooring. The kitchen will be installed from June 1.

About the radiator - the p;umber says it isn't too difficult to do. I might get it done still.

I have taken the pictures, but I just haven't been able to upload them (I know, excuses, but I got no time to unpack).

My next update (hopefully), will be with pictures :)

Thanks
M

Hey, that's not fair, I bet your carpenter was really looking forward to moving that radiator himself! ;)

Wherever possible I would always try to start upstairs. If you start at the bottom you will inevitably bang what you have already done when carrying materials and tools about.

hehe, all i did downstairs was to remove that plasterboard wall, and get help from this plumber to route the toilet waste pipe out :)
david and julie said:
Wherever possible I would always try to start upstairs. If you start at the bottom you will inevitably bang what you have already done when carrying materials and tools about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back