Re-Do garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i just bought new house and the garden is currently a tip. Doing a extension at present and the ground level of house to garden ground level is 1.5m!!!! so bit of a steps before you reach garden

I am thinking to do decking later on but wanted to know how i can eliminate all growth in garden.
one of my builder told me, i need to dig whole garden, then concrete all over then apply weed protection then sand then whatever i want, slabs, or top soil and then grass etc

is the above correct by the builder? Duno it seemed like he making extra days work to earn money lol!

Sponsored Links
you either badly misunderstood your builder or he is a total lunatic??
It depends on what you want to do with it? The easiest thing would be strim or use a brushcutter to flatten everything to the ground then cover the lot with black landscaping fabric. This will block pretty much everything from growing.

The best thing to do is make a firm plan and decide for the long term what surfaces you want.

Paved areas should have a sub base of 4'' of compacted mot which will keep weed growth to a minimum and is a good temporary solution until you get round to finished surfaces.

Lawn areas should be dug over rotovated and turfed or seeded by late sept at the latest. As a temporary measure they can be fabric-ed over to stop weeds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back