Re-filling/charging boiler question ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question if anyone is able to help:

I had 2 rads drained from my system by a decorator to paint, and the gauge on my boiler (worcester 28i combi) went from 1.5 bar to 0 bar. But the system was not fully drained.

I have started charging with a key and the pressure didn't seem to go up. How long should it take to go up. Only 2 rads were drained, 1 in living room and 1 in kitchen.

All of a sudden after leaving the boiler for 5 mins the pressure went up to 1 bar, then i vented the rads and it went back down to just under 0.5 bar.

Now on filling again it doesn't seem to go up much at all. If anything very slowly!

Is this normal? Howlong should it take to fill, I have a 2 bedroom house??

This is the 1st time i have ever filled a sealed system boiler by the way, as you'll probably gather :)

PS The rads are now all full of water, but the gauge still just over 0.5 bar. DO I still need to get it to 1.5 bar again? If so for what purpose as the system seems filled now??

Sponsored Links
It`s not fully pressurised until the gauge reads at least 1bar, I normally take it to 1.5bar, on heating this will probably rise to about 2bar which is normal, most combi`s will operate at 0.5bar but I would keep filling it until it reads at least 1bar.

in the boiler manual it says 1.0 bar or 1.5 bar depending on system water content in litres. The red plastic indicating needle was at 1.5 bar though before.

WHat does pressurising it actually do?? if it is full already??

how long should it take to pressurise please??? I am worried inacse my rads burst or leak (i haven't filled up a sealed system before and its a learning curve for me, so am a bit nervoius :)

what colour was the water you took out of the rads? sounds like you have a blocked filling point if its taking ages to fill. can you hear water going in when the filling tap is fully open?

filling to 1-1.5 bar is fine. the boiler will have a low pressure cut out somewhere below 0.5 bar.

the black needle is the actual pressure. the red needle is usually adjustable to indicate a high or low point..

Sponsored Links
I don't know the colour from the rads as i didn't remove them myself, but i drained some from a drain point before 1st recharging (1 small tub) to check if the system was totally empty (as the gauge was reading 0 and water poured out (it was clear/yellow/smelly - i think due to the inhibitor!!

I put the key in and turn the white knob and the water rushes into the system or slows depending on how much the dial is turned.

I leave it on for 30 seconds or so then stop as the noise scares me!!! As i have never done this before my other house was open vent type!!!

Maybe i didn't leave it open for long enough to pressurise fully.

If it is blocked what can i do to remedy it please?

open the filling tap until you hear whooshy noises (technical term) from the water going in and watch the guage needle rise. i dont think you are putting enough in as yellow smelly clear water should be ok.

there is a safety valve in case you put too much in but you must take your time and not fill past 1.5 bar. sometimes when filling it will go to 1.5 bar and when you close the tap it will drop down again. as long as its within the 1-1.5 bar area it will be fine.

in the boiler manual it says 1.0 bar or 1.5 bar depending on system water content in litres. The red plastic indicating needle was at 1.5 bar though before.

WHat does pressurising it actually do?? if it is full already??

how long should it take to pressurise please??? I am worried inacse my rads burst or leak (i haven't filled up a sealed system before and its a learning curve for me, so am a bit nervoius :)

Don`t be nervous, if you over pressurise, the little pipe outside (have a look) will let any extra pressure out. If your gauge is on 0.5, keep your filling loop open until it reads 1bar or a little more. It won`t take long but don`t expect to hear the water rushing in because once your boiler is filled which it already has you won`t hear a thing. try it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back