Re-pointing chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to take advantage of scafflolding access to my chimney stack and plan to re-point it.
Property is about 100 years old.
Gaps can be seen from ground level in quite a few of the joints. I don't know what condition the flaunching is in.

Does anyone have any tips/advice on repointing this area, ie mix to use (remembering that the original mortar is lime based).
What would be a good joint to use, I like weatherstruck or would flush be okay. Any tips on achieving flush joint, what tool to use.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
First carefully check contition of brickwork and joints. Often this can be very poor and difficult to see from ground level. Assuming its repointing only I would use a 9 parts soft and graded sand, 3 lime and 1 cement. Sieve the sand through a vegetable strainer, this takes out any small stones....
Cut out all of the mortar to a depth of 25-30mm with a small angle grinder with 10mm disc. Then either buy a pointing gun or a cheaper option a catering 'piping bag'. Mix up small amounts using something to measure accuarately with, no more than 1/3rd of a bucket. Mix needs to be creamy, add a little plastiseser if necessary. Its sooooo much quiker than trowelling in a few inches at a time. Pipe into the joint leaving the mortar protuding, this means you don't have to go back and mess around with a trowel filling odds and sods in!
When you have done a couple of courses strike off the excess with a trowel and finish as reqd.
Enjoy!

Dunc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back