Re-roofing kitchen extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a two bed terraced with a single storey kitchen extension that shares a sloped roof with the neighbouring house. It's a slate roof, and the neighbour has had a leak and had his roof re-laid.

The roofer that was doing the work said that the leak came from our side and that the felt under our tiles has perished, and he 'offered' to take off the tiles, lay new felt and re-lay the tiles (which are all undamaged and securely in place) for £225

Two questions:
Is that a reasonable price?

Is it a difficult job? I would be inclined to Do it myself, but i don't want to get all the tiles off only to discover i can't put them back :LOL:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds more than reasonable to me. Will he include new felt?

never assume anything.

my mum had it done on her whole bungalow, took a week, cost several K

Sponsored Links
Robster_1981 said:
he 'offered' to take off the tiles, lay new felt and re-lay the tiles (which are all undamaged and securely in place) for £225

Is it a difficult job? I would be inclined to Do it myself, but i don't want to get all the tiles off only to discover i can't put them back :LOL:

Cheers

If the current tiles are undamaged how did the water get under in the first place? If it's from your side surely you would've suffered a leak too?

It's not that difficult a job but you will need a ladder/access gear which the roofer will already have.

Deluks said:
If the current tiles are undamaged how did the water get under in the first place? If it's from your side surely you would've suffered a leak too?

It's not that difficult a job but you will need a ladder/access gear which the roofer will already have.

Thanks for the reply
I'm just going off what i've been told. We haven't had a leak, and i cant see how it can leak through our roof and then run through to next door :confused:

As for access, I have access to ladders and its only a small/low roof so shouldn't be a problem (he says!)

I need some more advice :rolleyes:

The roofer in question knocked on our door about an hour ago to give me his card and remind me that it needs doing, and that our neighbour has been hassling him to get on to us about sorting it out

I've had another look at the roof, and all the tiles look fine and none are out of place nor, appear to be damaged so i can't see how it's leaking :confused:

My question is, where do we stand as far as responsibility for the neighbours is concerned? he is claiming that his leak was caused by our roof

Normally, i'd be inclined just to go ahead and get it done for peace of mind, but money is VERY tight at the moment and £250-300 is way out of our reach at least for the next few months anyway :(

Are you brave enough to lift a few tiles and inspect the felt? How is the 'join' between roofs, are the tiles continuous (sp)

Hang on you're mixing terms since your first post, is it tiles or slate, or one of each??

Sorry for the confusion. The roof has slates, see pic. I've tried to get as much as the roof as possible. Ours is on the right as you look at the pic, and if you look at the top left there should be 2 white lines where the join has been marked

002.jpg

Looks alright from there. Not sure about the pitch though, if too low then rain can blow underneath. This could be a problem.

It's for your neighbour to prove where the leak is. Get him to show you where it is,when he does, fill it with something and tell him it's fixed. Then tell him to clear off.

joe-90 said:
It's for your neighbour to prove where the leak is. Get him to show you where it is,when he does, fill it with something and tell him it's fixed. Then tell him to clear off.

I like your style :LOL:
Thanks to you and Deluks for the advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back