Re-Siting CH Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to re-site the CH Pump from the HW cylinder, closer to the boiler. At the moment, the boiler is on the ground floor, and the HW Cylinder/Pump on the 2nd floor in a bedroom. The reason for re-siting is primarily to reduce noise in the bedroom.

- Are there any issues with having a long length of pipe between pump and motorised valves (which will still be near the cylinder)?
- Height from pump to highest radiator will be about 10m - are there any pumps that can comfortably deal with this?

Pump noise won't be such an issue when it's re-sited as it'll be in the kitchen.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Pump position relative to the other ch system connections IS important, distances less so. You need to find out exactly what you've got and how it's connected.

I know how it's connected:

System boiler (on ground floor) with flow/return going up to Pump on 2nd floor, this then pumps into a mid-position valve a few inches above, going into HW Cylinder or CH Flow. Wiring is Y-Plan (hopefully correct). I'm planning to relocate the pump closer to the boiler - keeping the Y-plan wiring. If distance from pump to mid-position valve is no problem, then can a normal 6m Head pump cope with around 10m (at it's highest setting)?
My new setup would be:

Boiler to Pump (relatively horizontal connection)
Pump to Motorised valve (2nd floor - about 6m above)
Pump to highest radiator (3rd floor) 10m above

Also, would the Grundfos Alpha pump be any good for my requirements?

you would have to alter the pipework probably , the cold feed and the expansion pipe need to be connected to the flow from the boiler before the pump , these are usually teed in just before the pump etc

Sponsored Links
Cold feed? Into the Flow pipe? Oh, you mean for the filling loop?

I can add an expansion vessell between the 2 no problem, but will the pump be ok for pumping 10m head?

On a sealed system there is no issue with pump position, indeed most combi/system boilers have the pump on the return. The issue here is one of safety. There must be no valves between the boiler and the expansion vessel and the safety relief valve. Whilst it is usual to put the expansion vessel on the suction side of the pump this is not regulatory

Do not get bogged down looking at pump head and static head, the pump has a net zero head when installed and the system is free of air, it is only there to circulate, not lift, the water.

An Alpha would work fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back