Re-using concrete for hardcore on driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I've been reading lots of useful posts on here about suitable hardcore in preparation for a driveway but have a question about size of hardcore. Currently I am breaking up an old concrete drive and a garage base and am going to gravel my drive. The level needs lowering a bit to 2 bricks below DPC otherwise I'd just gravel over the top of it.
My question is, once I break up the hardcore, is there any harm in re-using as a good base for the gravel? The only problem is that the pieces I am breaking up are between 2 and 6 inches thick and range from dust to 50cm x 50cm in area.
If I break it up, remove it, take up some more soil, lay a weed control layer, relay the broken concrete and sledge hammer it to death, do you think that would make a good compacted base or do I ideally need smaller stuff? Rather re-use what I have and save money (if not effort!).
Then what would you recommend to fill the gaps so I've got a nice flat level before gravel?

Thank you

John

Sponsored Links
Un-graded material is difficult to manage so builders opt for more expensive but cheaper to lay, m.o.t. type 1.

So long as you are happy to maul your socks off and have the height tolerance for the larger chunks then fill ya boots. It would be wise however to have a couple of tonne of m.o.t. to grade the surface.

The weed barrier would best be placed under the decor material, however i would strongly recommend you don't use it on a vehicular driveway. It will be pointless in any case because weeds will still germinate above and in the gravel layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back