Reasons to replace fuse box with new CU/MCBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being badgered by the missus to get the fuse box replaced with one that she calls "little switches" - I think she means MCBs. Apparently we'll be a lot safer than using fuse wire.

The garage is on its own RCD (installed in the garage) and this is the only place we ever use power tools or stuff like hedge trimmers or lawn mowers.

Considering that, would it be safer, or this just bad assumptions? She keeps going on saying "If it wasn't safer, why has everyone got them?".

I just keep thinking "nightmare job", as all wiring is 2 core (replaced it all about 12 years ago), so most likely needs complete rewire to get upto current standards and work properly with current CUs.

Sponsored Links
New consumer units incorporating RCD protection on every circuit are safer and more convenient that old rewireable fuse boxes.

If your wiring is only 12 years old, why is it in two core? and where did you get it from. Two core cable hasent been sold in the UK for 40 odd years now.

Maybe you should employ an electrician to carry out an electrical installation condition report, and see what state the installation really is in, and then you can plan from there what work needs to be done to keep your installation safe.

Being badgered by the missus to get the fuse box replaced with one that she calls "little switches" - I think she means MCBs. Apparently we'll be a lot safer than using fuse wire.
That's nonsense. Fuse wire does the job as well as MCBs, but ...
The garage is on its own RCD (installed in the garage) and this is the only place we ever use power tools or stuff like hedge trimmers or lawn mowers.
What would make her a bit 'safer' is to have RCD protection on most/all circuits, not just the garage - and the easiest way of achieving that is to get a new Consumer Unit. I suspect that she may well not use the power tools in the garage or garden tools very much, but she could be killed by an electric kettle, oven, vacuum cleaner or whatever - and RCD protection will go some way to reducing that risk.
I just keep thinking "nightmare job", as all wiring is 2 core (replaced it all about 12 years ago), so most likely needs complete rewire to get upto current standards and work properly with current CUs.
I'm not sure I understand that - what did you replace with what 12 years ago?

Kind Regards, John

Me thinks this could be the house of horrors diy style.

Post some pictures!

I bet we don't get any. ;)

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I didn't replace it myself, I just know they changed it all. I found the report and it says "Changed old brown wiring to new PVCU grey cabling".

Existing CU is 6 fuses, all existing sockets are affixed to skirting board and are in plastic enclosures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back