Recessed LED Light (Square) - Reputable Manufacturer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have some unsightly chrome square downlight (6) in our bedroom. The cutout is approx 95mm square per light.

Rather than patch the ceiling + plaster + redecorate I thought I'd have a look for some more discreet fittings.

Found these on eBay that look ideal.

Does anyone know of a recommended manufacturer that makes something similar?

Cheers

Attachments

• LP-SQ-6W-01.jpg
    LP-SQ-6W-01.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
I've bought one or two just to test and the lights themselves are fine, but the transformers which come with them tend to not be brilliant. Some are very RF noisy (interfere with your radio) and some just not designed very well. Some folks are sourcing the lights via eBay then chucking the transformers away and buying better quality ones - which still works out cheap.

Aurora make some brilliant square recessed LEDs and their drivers are top notch too.

They're not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for

Auroras stuff is good - expensive, but at least you know it's done to UK standards. I've used LED Hut too and their stuff is generally well sourced also and a little cheaper I think.

Sponsored Links
I've bought one or two just to test and the lights themselves are fine, but the transformers which come with them tend to not be brilliant. Some are very RF noisy (interfere with your radio) and some just not designed very well. Some folks are sourcing the lights via eBay then chucking the transformers away and buying better quality ones - which still works out cheap.

That is because they are not transformers, but switch mode power supplies and pretty poor ones at that.

Knowingly generating radio interference is illegal.

Thanks for the replies.

I did check LEDHut before and whilst they don't have any square fittings they do have some dimmable 10W round downlights that are slightly bigger than existing if I can't find good quality square ones.

Agreed about Aurora. I have 3 other lights in the house that are Aurora that a friend 'acquired' for me at the end of a big project he was running. I couldn't find anything of theirs smaller than 200mm square (and 13W!)

That is because they are not transformers, but switch mode power supplies and pretty poor ones at that.

Knowingly generating radio interference is illegal.

I know, but saying "switch mode power supply" would get blank looks from the average layman :D. As for the RFI, as well as breaching the regs it makes them useless really, as even though likely confined to your own house, it would be a complete pain. One guy could not pick up anything at all on DAB for example when he had one energised! I also would have grave doubts about putting them in roof space. Some have very poor separation on the boards too. All in all, best swapped out.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back