Recommend chimney cowl?

I've got science on my side (and 80 million uncapped pots). But you wouldn't understand that would you? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
mcgonagall-have-a-biscuit-potter.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.silver.w760h760.jpg

Yes I do think you are weird. My advice is based on 1000 years of houses in the UK. 80 million chimney pots that don't have problems. If you put a cowl up then you risk condensation in the chimney which manifests itself as damp on the chimney breast in the bedroom. Read through the forum and you'll see.

However, I'd advise him to look out of his bedroom window first and see how many open pots there are out there.
Chim chimney , chim chimney , chim chim cheroo - Joe`s a poet and I am too

Sponsored Links
As a matter of interest, there is some excellent information on:
ukchimneysweeps.activeboard.com
it's a forum and there are also some astonishing "House of horror" chimney flue pics. Well worth a visit.
The relevant pages of the Part J document ( dealing with flues, c/stacks, and fireplace openings and stoves ) can be found on : chimneyproductsdirect.co.uk

I am not a fan of the old elephants foot or c-caps, neither allows for much ventilation IMO.

Got a Colt Top (newer version) on my disused stack and a vent at the base. Works a treat as it allows for enough ventilation while keeping rainwater out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back