Recommendation for a conservatory company in Bury, Lancs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Finally moving into my new house on Thursday, and first job on the list is to get a conservatory built to be used as a dining room. Can anyone recommend a company? There seems to be loads of them out there, and loads of options on the actual conservatories.

From looking around, I think I want Low E glass, A lean-to conservatory, glass roof, a cavity tray installing. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Read through some of the back posts for ideas on how to go about getting the best price & what you should ask/look for regarding specification - start with last Thursday! The spec. will influence the price so a lot depends on your budget but you don’t necessarily have to spend a fortune to get it right; I found many of the larger, National companies wanted extortionate prices so didn’t bother with them!

I’m interested as to why you want a glass roof? A friend of mine insisted on one & now regrets it. They are quieter in the rain but are considerably more expensive, both for the glass & because the conservatory structure has to be much stronger to take the weight of the glass. If your conservatory faces South or West, you will also be blinded by the sun & stifled by the heat on days when there is bright sunshine. My above friend had to install roof blinds at a cost of nearly £1000 just 3 months after installing the conservatory & it still gets unbearably hot out there! I have a 5 wall, 40mm opal polycarbonate roof which is, I believe, the thickest you can get at the moment; its very heat efficient, prevents sun glare, makes the birds Sh** on the roof less obvious & although you still get drumming when it rains, it’s much quieter than the normal 25/30mm poly roofs. It’s worth considering having doors in opposite sides of the conservatory if you can, I have 2 sets of French doors & opening both of these cools it down a treat in the height of summer.

The North West has its share of double-glazing companies and I suspect the profits are massive. We used Safestyle for some windows and the operation was slick and aggressively sales-orientated. At the other end of the spectrum we have used a cheaper Blackburn firm for a couple of windows and there doesn't seem to be anything in it, quality-wise. The only difference is in their less slick service.

I would try Safestyle then a couple of others for comparison, perhaps one of them a more general building type firm.

If you want some advice from a glazier ask Andy at Visions in Glass, in Blackburn.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

I'm after a glass roof for insulation and noise reduction purposes, and so I can look up at the stars at night! The conservatory will be built on the side of my house (on the driveway), a NNW facing wall, it sees the sun till around midday, not sure if it gets any evening sun in the height of summer - only been in the house 4 days! I've just been looking at online quotes for conservatories - a glass roof seems to add around £900!! Might knock that idea on the head.

As for firms, has anyone tried Oakland?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back