Red coloured debris in oil boiler combustion chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every other year I vacuum out the combustion chamber on our Camray 5. It must be getting on for 20 years old so it isn't new by a long shot. But it seems to work. One thing I noticed today is that the ash appears to have a lot of iron in it. Is this normal? I appreciate that water is one of the products of combustion and the chamber is iron but is this much rust normal? If not, what could be the cause? At a rental property I own I had an oil engineer out to service the boiler (a Heatslave) and the debris was like a light brown, sort of like expanding foam.

Attachments

• Image5596406739929934002.jpg
    Image5596406739929934002.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
I have a 18 year old Firebird and get something similar but not near as much as that. I remove the front cover ~ every 4 years and see more of that on the baffles themselves, these baffles run very hot so possibly some form of hot corrosion of the baffles? I will be removing them this summer so will post a few photos.

FGT on a Camray 5 are very low.
It is probably condensate rusting the baffles .
Nowt to worry about unless return temp is low causing back end rot.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input. Incase it is related, I swapped out the nozzle on the burner as there was a lot of gunge around it. I was surprised how easy it was to do compared to the other models shown on video sites. 1 13mm nut to remove burner from chamber, 2 phillips screws to remove cowl around nozzle and then a 14mm spanner to remove nozzle. Couldn't really be simpler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back